Generation Specific > Second Generation 1970-1981

Recommendation for High Torque Starter

(1/3) > >>

jbanna:
It's time I replace my OEM style starter with one of the high torque minis - any recommendations on brand and model?  It will need to nicely fit on a Pontiac 455 with headers...thanks!

roadking77:
Both of my cars have high torque mini's from Summit. I am happy with them.

jbanna:
I saw Summit has a huge number of choices - which ones did you get?

5th T/A:
Any brand mini starter is going to be a lot better than the original GM because of the gear reduction. Whoever you order it from make sure it will clear headers or RA III manifolds if that's what you are running. The engine in my car was built by Butler Performance, they installed an IMI-108, 1.2KW starter. My engine is a 461 with I believe 10.5-1 compression. It has no problem spinning the engine over. I have bought lots from Butler and Summit, good service from both places.

FYI, I am running RAIII manifolds from RA Restorations.

roadking77:
Sorry :( I forgot they had a couple to choose from. The ones I have are Summit branded. I think the one I just got for my 79  last summer was a bit over $200. I will dig through the papers and find which specifically it was. I would trust 5th's input. If it can spin a Butler anything else should be chicken feed :lol: I do have RAIII's on my 77 and the mini fits fine with that. I will add I had starter problems with the original unit when I first started driving my 77. It would heat soak all the time. I was afraid to drive the car for any length, let alone turn it off once I got there. The final straw it crapped out one night when I was at a show/cruise night. Had to get towed home. I put the high torque mini in and it spins the motor like crazy. Havent had a problem since.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version