Generation Specific > Second Generation 1970-1981

NOS vs Reproduction

(1/10) > >>

Wallington:
70-81 Firebird sports mirror mounting gaskets.

Original Firebird gaskets were #9832127. Camaro used #9832126.

They were tapered opposite to match the opposite curves these vehicles have at the door top. As well as this, there was an offset pin so the gasket only went one way on each door, always the right way up.

The reproduction guys decided they knew better, removed the locating pins, removed the taper and marketed one gasket for both. This also meant neither vehicle could have mirrors that mounted straight. The OER version still shows the GM number 9832126 and mods are visible. More recent runs have no part number as shown in photo below used gaskets.

Another company is listing their own "#9832127" gasket, but again, list it is for both cars, which is incorrect, regardless of which way it leans.

11870 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

11871 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

11873 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Unleaded Fuel bumper transfers. GM #1686875

Original GM decal:
Unleaded fuel decal 78 Y88 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Original GM vs common Reproduction decal.
0C4C9EA8-13D4-4012-A921-ABA00DF1953E by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

NOS GM vs etched outline in bare 78 bumper recess.
Unleaded Fuel Only decal NOS and stripped rear bumper by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Assorted decals all claiming to be correct. NOS GM and a very close reproduction in length and font. 2 common oversized decals. I don't recall the brands or source, but any photos will be easy to identify. Also, measure the bumper recess it needs to fit inside.
Unleaded Fuel Only decals NOS Repro by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Rear Fender / Floor plugs.

Not an exciting part, had the pics uploaded. A common part sold at many reproduction shops listing them as floor plugs which I have not checked as mine are under dynamat. But they do match the rear fender trunk drop-offs nicely and are the same part. There are also 1-2 in the trunk floor.

These are to suit a 23mm hole (15/16"). The original is covered in underbody deadener.
They are likely easier to install when you have access to the rear side. The retainer is different so doesn't flatten after locating to reposition tabs and lock. So more a case of if wanting something for a repair that looks right, may still need to be sealed into place with extra help. But floor locations would work as designed, plus sealer.

PW210320A floor pan fender drain plugs 15-16 hole by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird rear inner fender dropoff plug repro 23mm (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird rear inner fender dropoff plug repro 23mm (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird rear inner fender dropoff plug repro 23mm (3) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

1977-78 chrome park lamp bezels. #499855 + #499856.

These are the GM-approved Australian reproductions from Pontiworld. Some US places also stocked them but don't identify. I believe there is now another supplier, unsure if same castings rebranded.

Reproduction bezels and lamps.
Park lights repro bezel and light 1 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

These are my photos of an original GM set I had rechromed on the left, reproduction on the right. The rechroming alone was around 3x the purchase price of the reproduction bezels. Even after I spent a lot of time cleaning up the castings prior, the new bezels were still nicer and matched where needed. A very good reproduction piece at good price. A rare example where the reproduction is actually a better item than the original and NOS.

park light bezel rechromed original repro 1 499856 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

park light bezel rechromed original repro 2 499856 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

park light bezel rechromed original repro 3 499856 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

park light bezel rechromed original repro 4 499856 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

park light bezel repro 1 499856 by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

FormTA:
That is a great idea but it would be nice if it was locked or folks kept their comments out of it so it would be easier to sift through  it.  That would be a good place for the side glass comparison to and you grab handles and door handles.  I say go for it.

81Blackbird:
That is a good idea.  Here is an example of the OEM vs. OER window sweep.  They didn't fit the curve above the door handle.  Also, the end near the door jamb / side mirror was bent in the wrong direction.  It was bent in such a way the it would rub on the body of the car and damage the paint.

First picture is the OEM with a cutout of the window sweep profile.

81Blackbird:
This is what the profile looks like against the OER Window sweeps.

81Blackbird:
Another angle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version