Author Topic: Cruise Control  (Read 330 times)

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
Cruise Control
« on: July 11, 2023, 11:52:06 AM »
My 81 car came with cruise control but I am missing all the parts.  Can anyone take a photo of thier system so I can start putting together a parts list?
Dave

81 Trans Am

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »
What engine did you have/do you have now? The servo (the vacuum diaphragm) is different depending on what engine. Aside from that the only other parts are the two speedo cables, the transducer (mounts on the fender), the vacuum lines, an electronic brake pedal switch (to cancel cruise), a vacuum dump switch on the pedal as well, and the turn signal stalk with the button.

I could be wrong but I think 81 was the first year for resume type cruise which added a couple things to the transducer and had a different turn signal stalk. Not sure if that was the only cruise option or if you could do either one.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 06:54:00 AM »
I "had" the 301 NA motor, it has a 73 400 in it now.  Yes this year does have a different stalk and resume feature
Dave

81 Trans Am

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 08:55:44 AM »
Well, I’m not as familiar with the resume system although from memory it’s the normal Cruisemaster with an added component to facilitate the resume function. That may be difficult to find. If you’re not concerned about losing the current stalk, you could install an older cruise stalk and try to install a basic cruise system. You may even be able to use your current stalk without the resume functionality. I’d have to do some looking at how it’s wired.

The servo for a 400 mounted on the firewall kind of opposite the wiper motor. You can see it in the picture below. They aren’t reproduced (although I don’t understand why since they reproduce newer ones from the 80s that look more complicated) and can be hard to come by. They pop up on eBay here and there. That’s where I found mine and I almost bought a spare. Wish I had.

Then there is the transducer. They used to be plentiful in rebuilt form but they started becoming scarce also. If you get to that point and you’re interested I have two spares that are used. One is junk for sure but the other appears to be in working order. I can test it on my car if the time comes. Let me know.

You’d also need the wit of harness which is pretty basic. I may have one actually it at least a partial. The electric and vacuum dump switches are available out there I believe as are the speedo cables. There really isn’t a lot to them once you understand how they work. Once you get the parts I can get you set up with how the vacuum lines are routed and all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 10:31:31 AM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »
Thanks.  I have a box of parts I need to look through and see what I have
Dave

81 Trans Am

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »