TAC Spotlight > Projects & Restorations

Saving a 79 Formula

(1/4) > >>

FormTA:
I had started this thread years ago before the last site crash. Now that my son wants the car for his first car, I will working on it again.  I had lost motivation to work on it because I built my 79 LS swapped Trans am. So, I'll try to go back and find and post pictures of all the work I did back then and bring it up to date.

In short, I replaced the T top roof, both quarters and trunk drop offs, many parts of the floor, one door and skinned the other and hand made the rear tail pan. The car is a high optioned car with th 301 4 barrel auto. It still runs well but the valve guides leak and it smokes on start up. I acquired a nice engine with less that 10k miles on it from a fellow forum member and I sourced a ST10 4 speed and parts to swap it to a manual.

Stay tuned for pictures and updates.

Here is a picture from the 80s of it the owner before gave me.

The day I bought it back in 2009.

Here is how it sits today.

FormTA:
I think I started pulling it apart in 2012. It was dangerously rusted.

I pulled one seat belt right out of the floor.

I should have just replaced the whole floor but I did it in sections.

Both quarters and the roof were not able to be saved.

I'll have to dig for more pictures but the torque box/spring perch were gone and i made my own as either they weren't avaliable or I couldn't find them back then. I also put a nice passage door on and skinned another door i had for the drivers side.

I'll be collecting parts for it but i have to get the 49 ford truck somewhat together so I can free up some space in my shop. Currently the truck is taking up 3 bays.

roadking77:
Cant wait to see the progress with this. There have been times within the past 3 years that I have wanted to start my next project while the TATA was stalled, but even with a 40' shop I am very limited for space. 3/4 of it is settup for my business needs. Although I know I will be doing a lot of welding and patch work the next go round which could have been more than finished by now. I had contemplated adding on to the end of the shop but I am afraid if I did so, I would have to add a bedroom as well!!

b_hill_86:
Lol you guys and your big shops running out of room makes me laugh. I work in a 20x21 garage and would kill for more space. I plan to extend my garage someday but that will have to wait. Didn’t Tom with the 81 do his in a single car garage? That’s nuts!

Anyway, I know you have a hord of your own parts Luke but I just picked up a stash of mostly 79 parts if you think you need anything. Once I can go through things better I’m going to start listing them little by little.

5th T/A:
I am especially excited to see this one in motion and completed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version