TAC Tech > Tires, Brakes & Suspension

Mushy brake pedal, no matter what.

(1/4) > >>

DeCaff2007:
More like it goes right to the floor, engine off.  Still goes to the floor with minor resistance, engine on. 

76 T/A with rear drum.  All factory stuff, no upgrades.

There's no leaks and the fluid is topped off. 

Everything bleeds pretty easily except for the front driver side.  Really have to pump that pedal to get anything to move (not forcefully, just the fluid moves really slow).

Regardless, I can bleed the brakes all day and the pedal will not stiffen up. 

I thought perhaps the brake booster is bad (long story there) and I can hear *some* whooshing upon pedal press.  However, I was under the impression that a bad booster would cause a hard pedal with no movement. 

Also, I just got the proportioning valve unstuck this morning.  Turns out it was blocking off the front brakes.  I was able to free up the pressure differential valve and blew air through both front and rear sides.  It's now clear as a bell.

Any suggestions?

FormTA:
WTF? You're alive! Man, good to hear from you! I have had bad Master cylinders right out of the box...

Is the masters cylinder original? I can't remember if you changed that years ago.

roadking77:
Good Reaction Luke! DeCaff! Its like a long lost brother has come home. I am sorry I cannot help with your brake situation. I am just about to tackle the brakes on my car. May be a dumb question but did you bench blead the Master? As Luke mentioned could the master by bad? When they did my 77 the first 2 (1 I got from inline tube, the other Napa) were bad out of the box. When I called inline they said it was the mechanics fault, Napa replaced the bad one I got from them and the third one worked perfect. I did have problems not long after the initial install with the pedal going to the floor. Turned out there was a fitting that was not perfectly tight, BUT it was not leaking. Maybe check to see if everything is socked up properly.
Anyway good to hear from you.

DeCaff2007:

--- Quote from: FormTA on April 10, 2024, 05:06:22 AM ---WTF? You're alive! Man, good to hear from you! I have had bad Master cylinders right out of the box...

Is the masters cylinder original? I can't remember if you changed that years ago.

--- End quote ---

Yes I'm alive and hello, FormTA, roadking77.  I'm surprised you all even remember me.

The MC is aftermarket junk that I purchased locally YEEAARRRSS ago.  It wasn't even a direct fit as it is adjustable.  Made in china garbage that actually bears the Delco Moraine stamp. 

EDIT:  I meant the vacuum booster, not the MC, sorry. 

Bench bled?  Likely yes. 

Yes, all fittings are tight.

I'm too old for this lol.

FormTA:
How could we forget you? You could fill this forum with what you've be up to

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version