TAC Tech > Tires, Brakes & Suspension

Steering gear and wheel alignment

<< < (4/4)

N PRGRES:

--- Quote from: jbanna on April 04, 2024, 01:19:28 AM ---Ok, I'm back pulling my hair out - my gear is 100% centered, and my wheels aligned, but I can't connect the steering shaft to the gear and rag joint unless the steering wheel is turned almost 90 degrees to the right.  I see no way to independently adjust the steering wheel to the gear - adjusting the tie rods to straighten the steering wheel will just move the gear off center, which means no easy left u-turns because the gear has an extra quarter turn to the right when the steering wheel is centered.  Can the steering wheel be pulled and its mounting adjusted, with the other parts still functional?  I've pulled the wheel many times in the past to replace broken cancelling cams, bad ignition switches, malfunctioning horns, etc., but I can't remember as it's been over 20 years!  The old gear and rag joint were worn, but not that much - the car drove straight, with a straight steering wheel - there was just a little too much play...

--- End quote ---
Something is for sure off.  Since the only part thats been changed was the gearbox, that would be suspect.  Have you called Red Head to see what they say?  Sounds to me, and I am by no means an expert, that maybe the cear is centered, but the input shaft on the gearbox was installed wrong, if thats possible.

b_hill_86:
I’m also going from memory, although only about a year or so ago, but I think (being the key word) you can change the position of the hub relative to the shaft. The wheel technically could be changed relative to the hub but there’s that little notch for the horn contact that lines up on the wheel and hub which would be off. But I’m fairly certain I remember being able to go a tooth in either direction when I put my column back in and out the wheel back on.

jbanna:
Well, after trying every conceivable fix without success, I finally figured it out, which was a bonehead mistake - I took the steering wheel off the column (for what reason I have no idea), and didn't mark it's position, so I guessed the wrong direction when I put the steering wheel back on...maybe now I can give some advice!  Anyway, it's now straight and tight (thanks Red Head), with just some fine tuning alignment by a shop next. 

N PRGRES:

--- Quote from: jbanna on April 06, 2024, 12:50:08 AM ---Well, after trying every conceivable fix without success, I finally figured it out, which was a bonehead mistake - I took the steering wheel off the column (for what reason I have no idea), and didn't mark it's position, so I guessed the wrong direction when I put the steering wheel back on...maybe now I can give some advice!  Anyway, it's now straight and tight (thanks Red Head), with just some fine tuning alignment by a shop next.

--- End quote ---
Glad you found the issue!  I haven’t installed Mine yet but plan to in the couple of weeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version