TAC Tech > Tires, Brakes & Suspension

Steering gear and wheel alignment

(1/4) > >>

jbanna:
I just replaced my steering gear and coupling joint, but now my steering wheel is off-center...there is no way the gear, pitman arm, or coupler could be installed with the splines in the wrong position; assuming the gear (a quality one from Red Head) was centered when I bought it, do I need to try to adjust the tie rods to fix?  I seem to remember the same kind of issue when I replaced the gear and coupler 30 years ago...ugh!!

tinpusher:
I just got my front end aligned after a complete rebuild. They centered the wheel by making adjustments to the tie rods.

My best guess  is that maybe you old one had enough play in it to be off (centered) and the new unit confirmed it? Just a guess..

How far off?

5th T/A:
I agree with tinpusher. It’s likely just small differences between steering gear boxes.

About four years ago I removed my subframe. Using all the original suspension parts my steering wheel was off about 40 degrees. This was not due to component wear as everything was tight. Considering I had removed the upper, lower control arms and steering linkage I was not surprised. I did the toe in adjustments myself by building four platforms to have the car off the ground while I adjusted the tire rod ends. I used steel fishing line to create a rectangle I could measure against. If memory is correct toe in is 1/8” on each wheel while having the steering wheel locked in center position. If you are interested in doing this yourself I could provide more details and pictures. Otherwise just take it to a shop for a front end alignment. Any reputable shop will check out your suspension and steering linkage for slop before doing an alignment.

jbanna:
Thanks for the replies - I may wind up having the alignment done...I had purchased a lifetime alignment from Sears in 1983, so got about 30 free alignments, but of course they went out of business; however, I might try to align the steering wheel myself to see how close I can get it, so would appreciate the more detailed info on how you did your own... :P

jbanna:
Thanks, that does make sense as my old gear and coupler were quite loose...I'll get it close and then take it in to a shop for fine tuning...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version