TAC Tech > Tires, Brakes & Suspension

1981 Rear Disc Brake Parking Brake

(1/11) > >>

TATurbo:
Hellow TAC,

Anyone have experience with installing the Parking Brake lever onto the rear 4-Wheel-Disc set-up on the late 2nd Gen's?
  Specifically...My problem is getting the 'Screw Assembly' that sticks out the back of the caliper (where the lever connects) to stick out enough for that Hexagon shape the park brake lever fits onto to stick out far enough to mount the washer/seal and lever.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about...
Untitled by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

In the above pic, that threaded post, with the hex shape about 1/2" down is only stiking out the back around 1/2". The 'hex' area doesn't stick out past the back of the caliper.  So, the lever can't locate on that part of that 'post'.  See...?
Untitled by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

Looking at the exploded view, that post coming out the back appears to be conneced to the caliper 'actuator' (Piston). 
Do I just need to compress the caliper piston, same as if changing pads?

How about installing the spring onto between the lever and the park brake spring bracket the cable pulls through?
Any tricks?  Install the lever, then the spring seat/bracket piece (w/the spring inserted) second? 
Any tips or tricks? 

Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks.

-Tom

jonathonar89:
The piston is a screw-in piston.  Turn it in on the other side.

TATurbo:
Ah ha! Screw it in?  I’m gonna go look at it now…thanks!

TATurbo:
So...Umm...Rotate/screw the piston? Is there some sort of special tool I should use to turn the piston?  It doesn't want to move easily. 
The caliper I'm working on to try to figure this out is a dud that leaked when I bought it.  It's been sitting in a box, with a cap on the brake line hole for a year or two.  It's possible there's some rust inside, but I'd be surprised if it was sitting long enough to rust up completely. It hasn't been out in the weather. 

Is there a special tool one would use to fit the detents on the caliper to screw it in?

451 GM late 70’s /early 80’s rear disc brake caliper by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

Thanks again for any input everone!

81Blackbird:
There is a special tool but it is not needed.  Just use a "C" clamp to press the piston back inside.  The screw will then be pushed back out.  Or, if there is enough to grab with a pair of pliers just screw it out in the correct direction.
If your putting new pads on the piston will have to be retracted anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version