Author Topic: Firebird 2015  (Read 530 times)

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
Firebird 2015
« on: October 04, 2023, 09:57:13 PM »
A few years back someone brought up this movie. It was ranked in the top 50 worst films ever.
Anyhow, basically it’s about how the government bans gasoline powered anything, outlawing most public use of any fossil fuels. In fact only government officials, law enforcement and the military can use gas powered vehicles.

Those who defy the law are called “Burners”….

Ok, so it was one of the worst films ever made, but kinda makes me wonder if it’s any predictive indicator of the future?

Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
Re: Firebird 2015
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 11:10:23 PM »
I actually had that poster from the movie.  I let it go last year.  Movie was bad, and yeah- kind of a prediction for the future of our cars.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 05:34:39 AM »
A few years back someone brought up this movie. It was ranked in the top 50 worst films ever.
Anyhow, basically it’s about how the government bans gasoline powered anything, outlawing most public use of any fossil fuels. In fact only government officials, law enforcement and the military can use gas powered vehicles.

Those who defy the law are called “Burners”….

Ok, so it was one of the worst films ever made, but kinda makes me wonder if it’s any predictive indicator of the future?

Jim
Its an interesting time for sure.  Prediction, possibly, however I think at some point they will find that an all electric economy is idiotic, why would you have all your eggs in one basket? I am sure the electric car lovers will jump on this and proceed to tell us how fastastic they are, and they do have positives, but noone will stop and give you a thumbs up when you're driving a tesla.
Dave

81 Trans Am

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 05:37:49 AM »
Never seen the movie, will have to look for it. We have netflix or something stupid like that now, seems like the majority are bad movies! Its got to be there, LOL. At least we now have a nickname, I like being a 'burner'!
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
    • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 01:23:40 AM »
I believe the movie can be downloaded for free from tubi I think.
Personally, I love the performance factor of some electric cars. However, electric conversions for classic cars is something I don’t think I would ever do. I do like the engineering, and fabrication aspect of doing a project like that, but I’ll never want to do it.
An all electric world , I think , would be a bad idea..  just my opinion though.
My other hobby is radio control airplanes and helicopters. 20 years ago electric power became very popular, especially with the advent of Lithium batteries and brushless motors. Now most model aircraft are electric powered with amazing performance. The nitro motors that were commonplace are small minority today. Those motors ran on a mixture of alcohol and 15% nitromethane ( or different amounts of nitro). Basically nitromethane production ceased in the USA and was mostly manufactured in China. Most models are PNP and are electric powered nowadays and very few are kit built.

I hope that our cars are never outlawed based on being petrol burners. If that day comes in my lifetime I will become an outlaw burner for sure! 😜
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
2000 TransAm WS6
1968 Lemans Converible
1979 TransAm Gold WS6 400/4speed
1971 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 01:23:40 AM »

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 06:12:36 AM »
Personally, I love the performance factor of some electric cars. However, electric conversions for classic cars is something I don’t think I would ever do. I do like the engineering, and fabrication aspect of doing a project like that, but I’ll never want to do it.
An all electric world , I think , would be a bad idea..  just my opinion though.
My other hobby is radio control airplanes and helicopters. 20 years ago electric power became very popular, especially with the advent of Lithium batteries and brushless motors. Now most model aircraft are electric powered with amazing performance. The nitro motors that were commonplace are small minority today. Those motors ran on a mixture of alcohol and 15% nitromethane ( or different amounts of nitro). Basically nitromethane production ceased in the USA and was mostly manufactured in China. Most models are PNP and are electric powered nowadays and very few are kit built.

I hope that our cars are never outlawed based on being petrol burners. If that day comes in my lifetime I will become an outlaw burner for sure! 😜
Jim
I noticed you mentioned most are PNP, thats for sure a symptom of todays thinking.  I want it now and not take the time to build it.  I won't lie that sometimes I fall into that trap.  I am not against electric cars, they do perform amazing, however I don't think they are the end all be all.  Most people don't want electric everything.  Electric stoves - suck, electric heat - sucks, among other things.   There needs to be a balance.  My son in law has a Tesla, and its an amazing car to drive, however it has zero character and is bland and boring.  I hate the interior lay out and quality is fair for what he paid.  Would I own an electric car?  Sure, since I work 12 miles away from home.
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 10:52:19 AM »

Jim
I noticed you mentioned most are PNP, thats for sure a symptom of todays thinking.  I want it now and not take the time to build it.  I won't lie that sometimes I fall into that trap.  I am not against electric cars, they do perform amazing, however I don't think they are the end all be all.  Most people don't want electric everything.  Electric stoves - suck, electric heat - sucks, among other things.   There needs to be a balance.  My son in law has a Tesla, and its an amazing car to drive, however it has zero character and is bland and boring.  I hate the interior lay out and quality is fair for what he paid.  Would I own an electric car?  Sure, since I work 12 miles away from home.

My wife and I have hybrids as our daily drivers. I think of them as a transition from ICE to all electric. Hybrids have been around long enough that the kinks have been worked out. They really shine in heavy stop and go traffic as the engine typically is not running when you’re not moving. Typically getting highway mileage when driving around town.

As far as mandates for all electric vehicles by the end of the decade, I just don’t see it. If we could flip a switch from ICE to all electric vehicles by 2030, I don’t believe we have the electrical generating capacity or the infrastructure ability to power all electric vehicles. In cities where the average car owner’s don’t have a driveway or garage, how are they going to charge their vehicles. Talk to anyone who owns an electric vehicle that drives it in frigid climates, they will tell you they take a big hit on range in the winter time. Most electrics use resistance heaters that soak up a lot energy. I have read that some manufacturers are experimenting with heat pumps that are more efficient. I don’t think the average consumer is willing to spend the extra money on an electric vehicle along with a fast charging port. The fastest way to get the motoring public is to make it cheaper to purchase, operate and own compared to an ICE.

Don’t get me wrong I am all for clean air and trying to protect the environment. I think the cost and functionality can’t be worse than what we have now with internal combustion.

Regarding my Trans Am, converting it to electric would absolutely ruin it. If gasoline is unobtainable I guess it will become a piece of static art. If the automobile manufacturers are forced into producing only electric vehicles, I predict the demand for used ICE vehicles will go up. After all the age of the average car on the road is something like 12.5 years and keeps going up. It will be a long time before gasoline is no longer available.

Sorry for rambling on.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 06:18:22 PM »
Pics of my movie poster.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 02:04:36 PM »
. If we could flip a switch from ICE to all electric vehicles by 2030, I don’t believe we have the electrical generating capacity or the infrastructure ability to power all electric vehicles. In cities where the average car owner’s don’t have a driveway or garage, how are they going to charge their vehicles.
  I work in the power industry and we already run at max power most of the time.  This may change as we transition from coal to Natural Gas (yes new Nat Gas Plants are being built) but for the time being it's not possible.  Without going to nuke, you're not going to get the megawatts needed to power an all electric society.  I work at a 985 MW nat gas plant taking up about 16 acres.  That same capacity output would take hundred or acres with solar and wind.  Those have thier place, but even Bill Gates admits that they won't get you to the pipe dreams they want.  Fossil Fuel isn't going anywhere for quite awhile, regardless what the media tells you.
Dave

81 Trans Am

Raven

• Active Forum Member
    • Yellowstone Computing
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 06:50:25 PM »
Listening to the voiceover in the opening credits reminds me of various recent headlines.

https://youtu.be/auSM5BKgdPw?si=bq7hGvrWjBXfSxBw
1978 Mayan Red Trans Am, '74 455SD, 4-speed.
1977 Trans Am SE, Y82, 400, auto. (Sold)
1999 Navy Blue Metallic Trans Am, LS1, auto. (Sold)
Time Flies in a Trans Am!
https://www.yellowstonecomputing.net

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
    • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
I remember that movie.  It was bad, but entertaining to some degree.

I used to have a movies page with rankings.  I think I included that.
1979 Firebird v6 3spd manual (they do exist)

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!