TAC Tech > Interior

Formula wheel resto

<< < (2/8) > >>

Wallington:
All good, simply for reference once mentioned. No need to recover if already fairly neat, and also a spare.

Maxthe222:
I've never liked the leather steering wheel covers, and only heard negative things about the reproduction steering wheels. But, my Y84's tan/gold steering wheel was always rough and looked very similar to yours. There was this YouTube video I watched a few years back (I can't seem to find it now) that showed the guy sanding the steering wheel down with various levels of sandpaper to smooth the cracks, he got this double tube glue stuff I got from the hardware store and massaged it into the cracks and bumpy spots on the wheel, and smoothed them over with like those rubber phoenix graphics decal applicators. Rinse and repeat until the exterior of the wheel is smooth and still rubbery/spongy, then wash, apply adhesion promoter, and then gently coat with a vinyl spray-paint and clearcoat. I did this years ago, and it was actually a pretty good fix and to this day has held up absolutely perfectly. Too bad I was too much of a rookie and impatient and I rushed the job, but if I had taken my time with it, and been a little more gentle, that would be a brand new Y84 SE steering wheel.

b_hill_86:
Max, I think I’m going to try something similar. Since my wheel is not majorly cracked nor missing any chunks, and based upon some reading I’ve been doing, I’m going to start less invasive and see where I end up then go from there. Any pics of your wheel finished?

tinpusher:
I used this to repair my center console, worked excellent. I might try it on the steering wheel to fill in all the small cracks, then SEM dye and clear. Unfortunately it’s going to have to wait until next month.

Maxthe222:

--- Quote from: b_hill_86 on July 08, 2023, 08:15:29 PM ---Any pics of your wheel finished?

--- End quote ---

I was about to say no, I didn't take any really good photos from before and after, but I actually did find some from when I received the wheel from Randy Combs and he literally didn't touch it. This is what my steering wheel used to look like when I first got it:

And this is the best image i have of it now:

SEM was a terrible match, and I spent a lot of time having a local paint shop mix a really good vinyl spray paint to match the steering wheel material originally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version