Author Topic: Hood alignment. My next impossible mission.  (Read 3039 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: Hood alignment. My next impossible mission.
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2024, 07:31:59 PM »

I think it's actually just sag. That is why you need to align it without the striker. These are just heavy doors.

79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2024, 08:33:53 PM »
Makes sense, worn hinges and previous alignment issues means an off centre striker pin will lift a door into place when it closes.

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2024, 03:59:26 AM »
I agree with Ben and Luke, remove the striker pin while adjusting the hinge. I would probably mark where it was with a sharpie so you have a rough starting position when you reinstall it. Get your FIL to come over and give you a hand aligning the door. With his years of experience and a second set of eyes you should be able to get the door properly aligned.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2024, 04:57:19 AM »
Oh, hinges are new? They do have some play but shouldn't be too much. Can you hold the end of the door and lift up and down and feel movement? Otherwise, even new hinges with a striker sitting higher than the latch will lift to close. Do the doors line up when shut? Sounds like striker is close to position but hinges are set too low for door hang. Loosen bolts on cowl side, try to lift door up past the striker until it hangs down buy higher than now. Or, to re-explain that, if you remove the striker you'll find door shuts too low.

I thought FBW may have faded away to nothing by now. When Pete left, there was no one left with knowledge or interest in the hobby, just his Mrs trying to make a quick buck. Their website hadn't been updated in years, when I checked. And corrections went ignored and not replied to. I don't like when shops have blatantly incorrect and misleading information. And when they ignore corrections because they'd rather sell items at any cost, I avoid at all costs. Very different to 10-15 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 05:04:30 AM by Wallington »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2024, 05:40:26 AM »

I thought the same thing! I bought some parts from Pete back in the day but I thought they were gone now.

79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2024, 05:40:26 AM »

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2024, 08:29:47 PM »
I concur with all of the above. I would set the door body line high to the quarter panel and remove the striker.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2024, 05:47:55 PM »
I concur with all of the above. I would set the door body line high to the quarter panel and remove the striker.

Well, I could swear I've tried that.  Then again, I'm pretty sure I was getting aggravated by my lack of progress and having too many unknowns - and that alone is enough that I'm sure I've missed something.

I'm going to give it another go here soon.  I have, however, been diving head on into the interior re-assembly.  I'd love to get at least the seats and the door panels put together before I start the door hanging aggravation again.

Just waiting on a few parts......
Current junk: 
1976 T/A 400 (4-speed swap) 
1989 Chevy K1500 RCSB (V8 swap)
1983 Pontiac Grand Prix (LS swap)
1967 Buick Special Deluxe (just trying to get it running)

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

tinpusher

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2024, 09:58:47 PM »
Best direction to go…work on something else, then back to the doors. BTW, that red carpet really looks good.

Wallington

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2024, 10:08:14 PM »
For the door, try loosening just one hinge on cowl, top or bottom depending on other tweaks. With the bottom bolts loosened the door will close the gap at the rear, with the the top bolts loosened it with pull the door away at the top. Both will tilt the door and lift it, probably won't even see either move. If door lines up well without striker, then reposition striker so it centres in latch opening without lifting onto it.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2024, 10:08:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!