Author Topic: Small carb fire, need some input.  (Read 400 times)

Zach

• Active Forum Member
Small carb fire, need some input.
« on: October 12, 2022, 11:34:33 PM »
Was cleaning up my clutch safety switch since it worked only 90% of the time and the other 10% happened during the worst scenarios, figured it was worth it to try and fix. Awful project in case you are wondering. Doing so I needed to obviously turn the car over and I was lazy and left it all intact so it would fully start up. After less than 3 starts I shut it down a little too quickly and noticed smoke was coming out near the snorkel. I rushed for the fire extinguisher and undid the battery then started undoing the snorkel with more and more smoke coming out. Once I reached the carb most the smoke was gone but once I started investigating I noticed there was smoke trapped in and only in the secondaries. Let everything air out while I cleaned up my clutch safety switch mess <1 hour probably. Hooked everything back up very cautiously and reluctantly started the car again, no issues what so ever. Let it run for a bit then took it for a 2 mile drive. Only thing really out of the ordinary was an almost alarming amount of white exhaust, this could be also related to hit hitting 40 degress outside today but it was enough for me to take note.

My guess is fuel got trapped in the secondaries from shutting it off to quickly and deciding to ignite. I was wondering if this could cause some un noticable damage that I should be worried about, and maybe a comment on the exhaust. Carburetor is by no means perfect and has some issues, it's due for a full rebuild this winter anyways.

Would like some input on this adventure of a day,
Thanks!
1977 #s W72 400 4 Speed Trans Am
1971 351c 4 Speed Mustang Mach 1

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Small carb fire, need some input.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 06:26:47 AM »
That's an interesting one... When was the last time the carb was rebuilt? I'm wondering if you don't possibly have an internal issue where the needle isn't seating on the float and allowing fuel to pass on the secondary's. Or is it possible that your fuel pressure it too high causing the same issue.

Now, as for the white smoke that's a general indication of water vapors being burned. Usually is an indicator that the head gasket is leaking. Has it ever done that before?

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 06:33:07 AM »
Carb is original, I doubt it's ever been touched up. I know it is in need of a rebuild which is already my project for this winter, but I've never had an issue close to the severity as this one. As for the smoke, I've never seen it as white as it was. Gonna check again after letting it sit for a day. Engine is an original w72 I extremely doubt it's ever been opened and it's pushing 80,000 miles. It was also very cold out so that could contribute to the color but it was still an almost alarming amount.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 05:13:02 AM »
No real input but if you ever have another carb fire crank it over and the engine will suck the flame in and put the fire out.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 09:22:04 AM »
Only thing I could think of off hand that could be effected would possibly be the integrity of the gaskets in the carb and/or the secondary air flap cam which is plastic. There are probably other things that could be effected depending on how hot the carb got from the fire but it sounds like you got to it quick enough that they may be fine. Not sure on the exhaust smoke. If it didn’t do it before the carb fire I would think it was just weather related and not carb related. Can’t think of what would cause that from the standpoint of the carburetor unless as mentioned you have a head gasket failure that’s just coincidentally the same time as the carb fire.

-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 09:22:04 AM »

Zach

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »
Small update, I think I'm gonna blame the exhaust on cold weather it was just bad timing. Car has been running fine and the same before the fire so I doubt anything is damaged. Carb is gonna be rebuilt as soon as snow hits the ground,  thats been a plan for a while.

Appreciate all the input, lotta information I still gotta know.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »
You can help support TAC!