Author Topic: Slave Cylinder Bracket  (Read 442 times)

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
Slave Cylinder Bracket
« on: September 24, 2022, 01:23:31 PM »
Been all over the net looking for a custom bracket to mount a hyd. slave cylinder, (the factory 3rd gen one) to the BOP bell. I've found a couple "almost" candidates. One by Advanced Adapter, that only bolts to the Chevy bell,  and another for the BOP, but comes with the slave, that I really would prefer to use the stock one...if possible. The aftermarket one with the right bracket, and slave is almost $300, and if I could find, "just" the bracket, it would prevent me from having to fab one. The one by Advanced has a great price, (no slave)  but is only for the chevy bell. Then again, if my factory slave is bad, and I have-ta buy another one, maybe the Race tuning one will do. I just think the factory replacement one would be much cheaper.
https://www.racetuning.com/products/billet-aluminum-external-hydraulic-slave-cylinder-55-81-b-o-p-pontiac-326-455-v8
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/add-715535?srsltid=AR5OiO3ZmYC9iHchsRf7MmBG0C74nQ0_vBNETd9FRyTA2H6NQDeoGFvXQ-U
Any help would be appreciated.
"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
Re: Slave Cylinder Bracket
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 05:18:59 PM »

How I did the Trans Am and now the Lemans.  If your bell has the open bottom this is easy to install.

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 07:10:59 PM »
My last resort, SB. When that thing leaks, you need-ta pull the tranny. A slave cylinder is easier. The internal one is a bit more expensive too. But while I was investigating mine today, I may end up having to use one anyway. Not a lot of room on the 3rd gen floor pan. They designed those cars to "not" have a stick shift. Everything is against it.
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 07:19:33 PM »
I went thru this 8 years ago on the Lemans; wanted a hydraulic slave cylinder and spent about 100 hours researching and built a setup - it failed.

I went to the repop mechanical setup and was amazed how well it worked.  The Howe/Wilwood setup on my TA works quite well.

Pulling a trans is not too bad if you don't have to dink with the bellhousing or clutch.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 10:18:57 PM by scarebird »

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 09:06:32 PM »
I wish I had the mechanical set-up for my 84. They had one in 82, but no-one who has one, will give it up. And there is no repops
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 09:06:32 PM »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 10:20:53 PM »
The mechanical 82 setup - does it mount on the block or bellhousing?

If the block it may not work as no Pontiac V8, just SBC.

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
The block location to mount the clutch ball pivot, is the "exact" same, from chevy to Poncho. I've been rummaging thru all my photos for over a half an hr to show it, before I decided to just go out and snap some more photos. Here's a perfect comparison, from the 2.  Top pic is the 301T motor.

Notice their relationship to the block dowel, for the tranny. Pretty close to the same.

However, as I looked more at it, "maybe" the rear of the 301Ts exhaust manifold could prove to be an issue. And also, if for some miraculous reason I did come across a 3rd gen Z bar, I'm sure the lower lever would need refabbing due to the bellhousing opening for the clutch fork being higher up on the BOP, compared to the slave cylinder/clutch fork hole on the chevy bell, which is much lower.

Doesn't matter, cause it appears I'm committed to the hyd. set-up now. Just need-ta fab a mount bracket for a slave off of the BOP bell.

Bunkie Knudsen
<

tajoe

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 07:08:54 AM »
And to put a conclusion to this thread, (maybe, hopefully), for those not following my build, I did just happen to find this in my hidden box of collectables.

The set-up I've been crooning over for yrs. Turns out, I had already acquired it, and totally forgot, until I opened up my 301 box of goodies. We'll see if I can make it work, and won't need-ta fab a slave cyl. bracket.
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
<

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 07:08:54 AM »
You can help support TAC!

You can help support TAC!