Author Topic: Time to really upgrade my clutch  (Read 306 times)

H8Rain

• Active Forum Member
Time to really upgrade my clutch
« on: September 19, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »
When I purchased my car 10 years ago the original owner had upgraded the engine, trans and rear end.  It dynos around the 500 HP/TQ range.  When I purchased the car it had a SPEC clutch set up in it.  I hated the way it drove so I swapped that out for a Centerforce high-performance single disc clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing.  That ran me about $850 for the parts (I installed it).

That was 10 years ago... fast forward to today and I have put a whopping 7k miles on that clutch.  I usually drive very conservatively but do like to get on it from time to time.  This past weekend the clutch started to slip. 

Now that I need to replace it again, I did some new research and it looks like I really should be running a multi-disc set up for the power I am putting out.  Centerforce does have (1) option for a 77 TA.   

I'm just curious what peoples thoughts are on the single vs mult disc and if any of you have any other brands you would recommend looking at that would be good for 500+ HP/TQ.   Not looking for a racing clutch.  Something with a nice smooth engagement. 

Thanks!

Mark
1977 Trans Am
Manual
95K Miles (1k on engine , trans, diff)

H8Rain

• Active Forum Member
Re: Time to really upgrade my clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 01:38:25 PM »
This is the one that I have been running with for the past 7k miles.  I was surprised when I went online to look it up again and it is rated for 622 ft/tq.
Mark
1977 Trans Am
Manual
95K Miles (1k on engine , trans, diff)

Vroom_vroom

• Active Forum Member
  • ka-kawwww
    • my build thread
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 05:14:47 AM »
mcleod has 3 they offer for twin discs. the entry one is rated for 800 but says not for competition use. there rxt says it will take it and still be a smooth engagement supporting 1000. not making anywhere close to that but im swapping in drag radials so im thinking of making the switch as well.
'77 T/A Poncho 400-4spd.(upgrading failure)|kre-d port heads|scorpion 1.5rr|800 smi q-jet|tomahawk forged I beams|kb flat tops|OER 15x8 snowflakes|rpm intake&drop base|try-y headers|pypes kit|champion 4 core|rancho sways|Subframe connecters|A.P. hydro setup| prw flywheel| mcloud ss|
'19 Silverado 3500
'15 terrain

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 06:20:01 AM »
I went from the LS7 Clutch and 7/8" bore when I had my LS1 engine. It sounds very similar to the specs on your current clutch. I didn't like that it was so stiff, but I lived with it. Then when I was building my LS3 with LSA supercharger, I needed something that would hold around 800 flywheel HP. I picked up an RXT clutch from McLeod, and I loved it. I also swapped out to a 3/4" bore MC and with that combo, it was just slightly more stiff than what you'd expect from a stock clutch, but would grab like no tomorrow. I would highly recommend that clutch, and possibly going with a hydraulic setup. I would probably go with the RST clutch since the RXT is rated for 1200 HP.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Former brake guy
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 07:51:20 AM »
The McLeod standard clutch I had in the LeMans worked very well.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 07:51:20 AM »

You can help support TAC!