Author Topic: 79’ TA — speedometer stopped working  (Read 501 times)

jvmagic

• Active Forum Member
79’ TA — speedometer stopped working
« on: June 18, 2022, 04:19:47 PM »
Hi,

I have a 79’ TA and the speedometer started to make a bird chirping noises  a few months back until  the speedometer stopped working.

I did the speedo cable test by disconnecting from the tranny, drill in the reverse position, and the speedometer did work.  I reconnected the cable and then went to test the transducer (not sure I did this right).  I disconnected the smaller cable from the transducer and connected to the drill and the speedometer did not move. I’m not sure what that means so I’m hoping for some guidance. 

How can I confirm it’s a cable or the transducer.  Just want to figure out what to replace without pulling my hair. 

79’ Trans Am
403 motor
350 tranny
Cruise control

Thanks in advance

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Re: 79’ TA — speedometer stopped working
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 05:53:59 PM »
I may be wrong here but if you disconnected the cable at the trans and spun it with a drill and the speedo worked then everything is good up to there. Sounds like the gear in the trans has stripped.
79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 08:35:48 PM »
I’d say, if you disconnected from the trans, and Speedo worked, it’d agree that the drive or drive. Gear in the speedo could be the culprit. The driven gear can be removed from the trans where the cable attaches. Should be able to inspect that gear or the drive gear inside the trans for wear.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 08:35:48 PM »
You can help support TAC!