Author Topic: Boosting a 301 (for fun)  (Read 102 times)

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Life is short, have fun, Drive a T/A
Boosting a 301 (for fun)
« on: May 03, 2024, 03:58:01 AM »

So, I have always wanted to mess around with boost be it a turbo or a supercharger... I know the 301 is not a good option but I have a couple of them. The ones I have are the weak ones too so that makes it an even worse idea but I have back ups. So, hear me out an just remember it's just an air pump so we could be talking about a chevy 305...

The 301 is 150hp give or take. I was thinking about installing a Holley sniper efi system on one here recently but then noticed they are capable of blow through boost. So, let's say I pick up a cheap Chinese turbo for cheap and fined somewhere to cram it in (even if it has to be under or at the rear of the car) and blow through the sniper efi. I am not trying to make big power here just add a bit to the car. It will be a 4 speed stick, so that should help maintain the happy spot. I would be fine if all it safely could do is 3 lbs of boost.  It's just for a tiny bit more fun.

The thing is I know nothing about boosting an engine or tuning so I thought maybe this would be possible if I used a self learning efi like Holley and because there are no efi intakes for the 301 just go with throttle body injection. Also trying to do it cheaply and for fun.

I don't know enough yet about the Holly Sniper setup to understand it's ability to connect and control spark though. I have heard there are electronic 301 distributors from 81 out there. I just don't know if it could control it and would I even need it to or could I just run the old stock vacuum advance unit. I would lean towards the electronic distributor so the ecm can tune it, not me though... or, could I take some other distributor and combine it with the 301 housing and make an electronic distributor that it could control.

And if it all goes sideways I have backup engines.

Any input or ideas on this would be helpful.

79 Trans am low buck LS swapped
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (waiting it's turn)
69 Dodge charger on late model charger chassis
49 Ford F1 on a 2003 Chevy ZR2 Chassis (current project)
Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Boosting a 301 (for fun)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 05:50:05 AM »
I think it sounds like fun. I am not mechanically inclined but I am pretty good at figuring things out. I would be up to the challenge for fun and entertainment! You are pretty good with this kind of stuff and I am sure you can do something crazy with it.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

N PRGRES

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 10:28:35 AM »
Its a 301, you can't make it any worse!  Sounds like a fun experiment!
Dave

81 Trans Am

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 10:45:56 AM »
Luke, this is the guy you should talk to https://ttaperformance.com/my-turbo-cars
Actually I think you already have a relationship. Isn’t this where you get your flywheel from? He probably is the most knowledgeable guy out there on th 301 turbo. He has integrated EFI and run 12.85 quarter miles with his 301 turbo TA.
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 04:41:26 PM »
Ya, I should probably give him a call. He runs them the way they were originally, a where the carburetor or throttle body efi is before the turbo. I want to have the TBI on the standard intake and blow through it. I'm not sure he has ever done that but I'm sure he would know more than I. I was hoping someone who has turbo something or who runs sniper efi will chime in too.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 04:41:26 PM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 10:58:11 AM »
I love this!! I'm very jealous because I really want to add boost to my 55, but not in the cards right now. As for the boost through a Holley TBI I can't speak, but the software side it's 100% possible. Not only that, it's quite easy. I think that the stock Sniper fuel injectors are good for around 450 HP on an N/A vehicle, so the boosted would likely be less. More like 375-400, but is likely less than your target so you should be good there. You'll need to figure out what MAP sensor is a direct fit in the TBI and can read up to 2 Bar. You'll also want a beefy fuel pump, but you likely won't need anything more than a 255 lph since you are not looking for lots of boost. On the tuning side, you need to re-map the VE and Spark tables to account for the added boost which reads in kPA. 100 kPA is atmosphere, and 200 kPA is 14.7 psi, so you'd want to update the VE and spark tables to read from zero to about 150 kPA. You'll also want to do some reasearch on what AFR you want to run. I think generally you'd want to be around 12.5 at 100 kPA and bring it down somewhere in the 11's at full boost. Depending on how the motor reacts though, you could lean that out. Selecting the AFR is a hugely critical step in these "self-tuning" ECU's. While it does have a learn table for your fueling, you need to populate the AFR, timing and other variables. I'd probably just pick a 5psi wastegate spring and let the computer tune your fuel tables after you set AFR. Sounds like a really fun project, and I can't wait to hear more about it. Feel free to text me if you have any questions.   

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 01:34:28 PM »
Here is a screen shot of the sniper 2
 It shows that it comes with a 2 bar map sensor.

So maybe it would be fine as is..??

5th T/A

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 06:17:08 AM »
Luke, I am looking forward to seeing you do this. Trying to do a turbo with carburation and crude timing controls was the Achilles heel of the 301 turbo.

Out of curiosity, does the Sniper EFI have a knock sensor?
1980 T/A with a Pontiac 461

Gone but not forgotten;
1973 T/A 455
1975 T/A 400
1978 T/A W72
1982 T/A cross fire injected

Two wheel toys;
2014 Harley Ultra Classic Limited
2013 Honda CB1100
2010 Yamaha Vmax
1982 Yamaha Seca 750

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 09:52:00 AM »

No, I don't believe it does.  There are taps in the wiring to add outside senders, so you could probably program one in. I really want to do this just because.  I just have so many projects going.... We'll see how it all plays out. I have to drag the car out of the barn and see how quickly I can get some paint on it. If I do decide to try the turbo than the 301 that is currently in the car can stay. Otherwise I will rip it out and replace it with the nice one I got from you. I don't want to kill yours right off the bat....

All in all I am leaning towards do this project.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 09:55:50 AM »

Does anyone have other options/suggestions for an efi system that would be easier or cheaper.

From my minimal research, this Holley setup seems to be pretty straightforward enough that I could do this, even without any tuning knowledge

But I am curious if there are other, easier, better or cheaper options out there.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:21:30 AM »
That's nice that the Sniper2 comes standard with a 2 bar MAP and 100 lb. injectors. They must have designed it with boost in mind. I'm sure there are cheaper options out there, but not sure you will find anything else with as much support as Holley right now. Not specifically from Holley, but there are so many users that you'll be able to find a tuner in the event that you get stuck. You don't give yourself as much credit as you deserve. While the boost is new, it's really not that complicated. Some people can make it complicated by adding boost controllers, or methanol or dial-a-boost settings. When you really break it down, there are only a few components and keeping it simple will help. Wastegate goes in the exhaust before the turbo and will control your boost level based on the spring you have. BOV will prevent over boosting the engine when the throttle blades are closed and the turbo is still spooling. If you allow the Sniper2 to control the timing, you can set it up to pull timing as boost goes up. Generally you want to pull a few degrees of timing as the boost pressure increases. Lots of the turbo LS guys are using a 12-12 rule, 12* of timing with 12 lbs. of boost. If you are running 3-5 lbs. of boost, I'd just pull out maybe 5-6 degrees of timing around full boost. N/A AFR should be around 12.5 at WOT or 100 kPA, and with boost you'd want to lower the AFR several points. My LSA engine was happy with 12.5 around 11psi of boost, so it really depends on the feedback from the ECU and if the motor feels happy.

1976 Trans Am LS1 and much more...SOLD
1968 Camaro LSA, T56 Magnum, and much more...SOLD

Current Project: 1955 Nomad LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes and etc...

« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:21:30 AM »
You can help support TAC!