TAC Tech > Audio

Gaping Radio Hole

(1/2) > >>

L8KRFAN:
Any tips on how to repair the butch job the previous owner did on the radio opening on my 74 Esprit? All that's left is a rectangular opening. I have a 90s Sony AM/FM Cassette (free) that I'd like to install but have nothing to mount the volume and tuner shafts to. Thanks in advance!  :D

Wallington:
Do you mean to replace with an original style radio? I obtained an original dash cut from a ruined dash but never proceeded with the swap when found the 'fully rebuilt' 1978 radio didn't appear to actually work at all. But I'd imagine the swap would be even easier with an original dash. It's require some grafting and perhaps a border in matching dash vinyl, but that is largely hidden by radio bezel also. I also saw somewhere a while back a moulded plastic or fibreglass perhaps, radio mounting plate for those doing this exact swap, although it may have been a universal size, the idea was still there and possibly of use to mount something to. The original radio used a mounting bracket also, they were super heavy.

b_hill_86:
I thought there was a “repair kit” of some sort to fix a butchered opening. I could be wrong though. Wouldn’t imagine it’d be hard to make one though.

L8KRFAN:
Thanks for the replies! I'll use my imagination and come up with something.  :grin:

L8KRFAN:
After a long hiatus from fixing broken and messed up stuff on my derelict 74 Esprit, work has resumed.

Here's how I repaired the radio hole opening. I made this YouTube video showing the steps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJSDHfzIhXE

Happy 4th of July!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version